A brand story is a cohesive narrative that encompasses the facts and feelings that are created by your brand. Inspired by traditional advertising, which is about showing and telling about your brand, a story must inspire an emotional reaction.
How to write a brand story
• The customer is the hero, not your brand
• Companies tend to sell solutions to external problems, but customers buy solutions to internal problems
• Customers aren’t looking for another hero; they’re looking for a guide
• Customers trust a guide who has a plan
• Customers do not take action unless they are challenged to take action
• Every human being is trying to avoid a tragic ending
• Never assume people understand how your brand can change their lives. Tell them
It's all about Trust
The brand story builds connections and it builds trust. Research has shown the power of descriptive stories and how our brains respond to it. Scientists call it synchronising or neural coupling where a simultaneous brain activity happens in two people, the brand narrator and the customer in this instance, and leads to a mirroring effect, leading to an enhanced comprehension and understanding.
• What a brand story is not: It is not just a tagline. It is not just the logo or the colours. It is not just your personal story and ‘about’ page, or a sales pitch.
• What a brand story is: A brand story is the heart and soul of your brand. It is the complete picture of what you are. It is what makes you unique.
Successful brands create a narrative, something that positions them as unique, and creates an emotional connection with the customers. Good storytelling is all about forging an emotional connection.
The colours, the logo, the name and the tagline all follow from the central message. They all come together to form the brand story.
A brand story tells the motivation for starting your business, and why you get up and do what you do every day, why customers should care, and why they should trust you.
As a Senior Brand and Marketing designer for Didomi, I defined a coherent brand image and guidelines so the values of Didomi will come clear throughout all communication channels: corporate website, online & offline communication, social media, events, sales decks, paid media, white papers and more. In a complexe era of personal data privacy protection, the values of Didomi are unique as it thrives to become a renown international company and a leader in its domain. Being a solution provider is not enough anymore in order to obtain these objectives, communication has to be culture-crossing and coherent in the most global manner. While showing devices presenting the solutions, we answer directly to the client's pain-points, the new positioning is now result-centric instead of product-centric, providing solutions that are far more than "just" solutions: they are a bridge between brands and their users, and a part of the data revolution.